Are you wondering what is a Torque Wrench and how to use it properly?
Keep reading this article to learn.
A Torque Wrench is a tool which is used in repair works of auto and is seldom used in any construction works.
The tool is used to provide torque or rotational force, which can be used to fasten the bolt/nut with the utilization of less effort. With greater accuracy than the other standard wrenches, the Torque Wrench is used for the better work scenario.
How to Use a Torque Wrench Properly
Using Torque wrench requires following a definite set of steps. These are mentioned below:
Go through the specifications of the Torque wrench
Using Torque Wrench properly requires the analysis of the Torque specifications at the first hand. To begin with, look up the torque specifications carefully.
For this, you can either refer to the service manual or can refer to online. You need to find the latest version of the manual and the tightening procedure as these are being updated.
Torque Wrench must be clean and Dry
Ensure that the torque wrench you’re using is clean and dry and also the nuts and bolts are undamaged. Keep in mind that the Torque Wrench you are using will not work on the damaged threads and also it may cause problems in removing the fasteners in the near future.
Also, remember not to oil the threads before as it reduces the friction and at the same increases the load on the bolt.
Time to actually use Torque Wrench
Now, it’s the time to learn the steps on how to use it actually. Tighten the bolts with the Wrench till the time they are snug. Then you need to follow up with the Torque Wrench.
Now, grip the plastic handle of the torque wrench and hold it in the way so that the wrench is in the centered on the pivot. If you want to achieve higher accuracy, make sure that the handle should not be touching the bar.
- Now place the end of Torque Wrench and make a straight angle so that the beam can be read with a perfect angle.
- Now, rotate it clockwise and reach to the point where the recommended torque is achieved. Tighten the other fasteners using the same technique.
- Until all the bolts are snug, tighten onto the threads with your Torque Wrench.
- Now, adjust the torque wrench accordingly and loosen the adjustable dial. Now, turn the handle and upon reaching the specified torque, tighten the adjustable dial.
- Now, place the tip on the fastener on the left side with the handle and turn it in the clockwise direction until the time, a noise of “Click” is heard. You can repeat the same handle until another noise of “Click” is heard.
- Now, move the project tightening the fasteners in the same specified pattern and reset the torque to 0 when the process is done. With this, the internal pressure is reduced on the internal spring and calibration is kept.
Torque Wrench has been always useful in the process of fastening things and is a common tool across a variety of industrial processes, commercial garages, and even homes, wherever there is a precision required while in the assembly process utilizing threaded fasteners.
Remember the following things:
- Storing your torque wrench in the best way
- For accurate results, one click is enough. Still, you can go for the second click sound also.
- Adjusting your torque wrench to deliver the best result.
- Using marked loading points for accurate results. You can always check the marked loading points to get the most out of your Torque Wrench.
In an effort to use Torque Wrench, valuable information should be gathered on how to use it and in how better to handle it while using it. There are several preventive mechanisms which, you need to follow while maintaining the Torque Wrench in the best state.
Keeping in mind all the valuable information will help you in getting the best out of your tools and with increasing the lifetime of the Torque wrench and delivering far more accurate results. The tips are simple and you can follow them quite easily.